November 12-13: Labor & Delivery

On Friday, November 13th, Tim and I decided that I would go ahead and try spicy food and Castor Oil to see if we could at least produce some contractions strong enough to start to soften and dilate my cervix. Because I am a spicy food junkie, the best we could do was the Blazin' Wings from Buffalo Wild Wings, and boy were they blazin!!! As soon as I bit into the first one, I started to sweat. By the time I finished them, my nose was running and my lips and tongue were numb. At 10pm that night, I decided to go ahead and drink some Castor Oil mixed with orange juice, and then I went to sleep. Tim and I had fully prepared ourselves for the likely outcome of explosive diarrhea and no contractions or labor, but thought that it didn't hurt to try.

At 1:15am, I woke up with a really strong contraction that would not stop. That was immediately followed by frequent, stong contractions and explosive diarrhea. I went downstairs in order to not disturb Tim, and paced the floor until the diarrhea finally stopped at 4am, at which point I also expected the contractions to stop. I even drank a liter of water to make sure I wasn't dehydrated, but the contractions never stopped, and continued to come every 1.5 minutes.

I breathed through them as best I could, changing position frequently, until 7:45am when Tim finally convinced me that I was actually in labor and should probably consider calling the doctor. I had procrastinated so long because I was in total disbelief that I was actually in labor, and really didn't want to go to the hospital only to be sent back home, but was quickly tiring of the absence of a break between contractions and decided to call. The doctor told us to go ahead and come in so we loaded up the car and got to the hospital around 9am.

Once at the hospital, I was put on the monitor and examined and it was determined that I was in fact in labor, albeit the very early stages. I was 2cm dilated, 80% effaced andat -3 station. Since the babies were still both breech, all of the arrangements were made for my c-section, I was taken back to the operating room and prepped for surgery.

We absolutely lucked out with our surgical team. My favorite doctor was my surgeon, my favorite resident was first assist, the nurse was one of my favorites and the anesthesiology team was great! The c-section proceeded very quickly and smoothly, and before I knew it, we had two healthy, screaming baby boys!

I immediately turned to Tim and asked what their names were. Our little secret is that Tim actually has known the gender of the babies since the middle of the pregnancy. During the full anatomy scan he chose to find out, but I really didn't want to know, so he promised to keep it to himself and pretend that he didn't know. So, while I had seen the names on a list of names he showed me before, I didn't know which names he wanted for the babies until a few minutes after they were born. He told me the names, I asked to think about it for a minute, said them out loud a few times and then told him that I loved them!

Tim held the babies and let me kiss them while they finished my surgery, and then he went out with the pediatric team to watch them be assessed. While I was in recovery, he went back and forth between me and the babies. He was so excited and in love, and it was so great to see him glow with pride.

After my hour in recovery, I was wheeled to my room and we were joined by the twins shortly thereafter. It was absolutely perfect!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers